Home to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks is Williams-Brice Stadium, recognized as one of the finest facilities in all of college football. Carolina annually ranks among the nation’s leaders in attendance and Gamecock fans are regarded as some of the most loyal in the country.
Williams-Brice Stadium, formerly Carolina Stadium, was first constructed in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Then it seated 17,600. It has undergone a number of expansions and revisions over the years, with the largest prior to the 1982 expansion coming in 1971-72. A bequest from the estate of Mrs. Martha Williams Brice helped boost the capacity then from slightly more than 43,000 to more than 54,000.
Mrs. Brice’s husband, Thomas H. Brice, was a Gamecock football letterman, 1922-24, and her family operated the Williams furniture Company in Sumter. She left a substantial interitance from the Williams Furniture fortune to her nephews, Thomas W. and Phillip L. Edwards, much of which they passed on to the University of South Carolina. That included a bequest for the stadium project.
The name was officially changed from Carolina Stadium to Williams-Brice Stadium in dedication ceremonies during the Sept. 9, 1972, opener with Virginia.
WILLIAMS-BRICE STADIUM FACTS